How to Choose the Best Handyman Service near Wilmington Massachusetts
Hiring a handyman near Wilmington MA can be a cheaper option to completing a number of home repair or maintenance tasks yourself that you have been avoiding. With multiple work and family responsibilities, it can often be difficult to complete your list of home repairs, which can have a negative impact on home maintenance. A Wilmington handyman is usually less expensive than licensed contractors who specialize in one area exclusively, such as carpenters or painters. And with their extensive and broad experience, they can eliminate costly mistakes you may make when installing a washing machine, replacing a faucet, or putting in kitchen tiling yourself. There is nothing more frustrating than having to hire someone to re-do the job after you have made a mess of it! Also, it can end up being more costly than if you had hired a professional to begin with. So, if you are considering doing some home improvements or repairing something either in or outside of your home, consider the benefits of hiring a qualified handyman instead.
Why Hire a Handyman Instead?
Sometimes it is best to leave it to the experts when considering home maintenance or repair, particularly when it involves a more complex project. A qualified and experienced Wilmington MA handyman can not only get the job done fast but do it right the first time, saving you frustration and time for other obligations. Oh, and also save you money. But what are the benefits of hiring a handyman compared to other options, such as hiring a plumber,a carpenter or an electrician? Let’s take a look at some of the main reasons that it makes sense to utilize handyman services for your next home project.
- Charge by the hour. Most handymen in Wilmington MA charge by the hour and not by the job. This means that you only pay for the time spent doing actual work and not pre-set service charges plus additional costs that could far exceed what a handyman charges. They also tend to have lower overhead and no employees, so they can charge less than a typical plumber or electrician.
- Can handle several projects. Perhaps you have a faucet that needs replacing, an outlet that needs to be changed out, and a bedroom that needs to be painted. Instead of trying to find and coordinate with a reliable Wilmington MA plumber, electrician and painter, an experienced handyman can handle all of those projects.
- Save money on materials. When you hire a contractor, generally they supply the materials at a mark-up. When working with a handyman, you supply the materials, saving you money. And often an experienced handyman has connections that they have established with Wilmington MA vendors offering them discounts that they can pass on to their customers.
- The Go-To person for all home repair projects. The great thing about having the phone number for an experienced Wilmington MA professional handyman is that you don’t have to think about who to call when the toilet leaks or the ceiling fan stops working. You just call your guy (or gal) and they come over and take care of the problem. And if the job is a little more involved than they can handle, they can usually recommend a “specialist” to take care of your more advanced plumbing, electrical or HVAC needs.
Is Hiring a Handyman the Right Choice For You?
We all have home repair or replacement projects that we keep putting off that a qualified Wilmington MA handyman could take care of quickly and at a cost that is very reasonable and affordable. So you no doubt agree that its more cost effective to have the project done once and right the first time by hiring a seasoned pro. Many handymen are skilled in several areas such as:
- Door repair and installation
- Drywall repair and installation
- Painting and Plastering
- Window repair or replacement
- Minor plumbing or electrical services
- Carpentry or Roof repair
- Flooring installation and repair
- Any general home repair, replacement or improvement
Steps to Hiring a Handyman
Being comfortable with and having confidence in your Wilmington MA handyman is extremely important, especially since he or she will be working in your home or place of business. The last thing that you want to do is hire someone who does not have the skills required to complete the project professionally or that will charge you more than the agreed upon price. You also want someone who will stand behind his work. So be sure to do your due diligence and follow these hiring guidelines when selecting and hiring your handyman.
- Interview several prospects. As the song goes, you better shop around. Be sure to speak with 3 or 4 candidates before making a selection. Referral services, such as the one recommended on this website, can do the groundwork for you by providing pre-screened Wilmington MA handymen. Be sure to ask about their experience, areas of expertise and rates.
- Clearly define the project. Make sure your prospective handyman understands the scope and all details of the project. It is important to make sure that it is within the range of his or her expertise and experience and not more appropriate for a licensed Wilmington MA contractor.
- Ask for references. Get references from recent Wilmington MA customers who have used the handyman’s services, for similar projects if available. Ask if they were completely satisfied with the work performed as well as the cost of services. Also ask if they would hire the handyman again for future projects.
- Get Agreement and Guarantee in writing. Make sure the terms are spelled out in writing, to include all fees involved and any guarantees for workmanship. Since you are paying by the hour it is not as critical to get the exact project cost up front, especially for small jobs. But there needs to be a formal understanding regarding hourly rate and if the Wilmington MA handyman stands behind his work. And for longer projects, a start and completion date, along with estimated billed hours should be spelled out in writing before work begins.
Recommended Local Handyman Today Wilmington MA
Searching for professional handyman services in Wilmington MA is easy. Just get your free estimates now. There is no obligation to receive free proposals from some of the top qualified services operating in your neighborhood. Your originally came to our website due to an interest in Recommended Local Handyman Today and wanting more information on the topic Skilled Local Handyman Rates. So why delay any longer? Take care of your Honey Do List and find the right professional at the right price now!
More Handy Massachusetts Locations
Wilmington was first settled in 1665 and was officially incorporated in 1730, from parts of Woburn, Reading, and Billerica. The first settler is believed to have been Will Butter, Richard Harnden or Abraham Jaquith. Butter was brought to Woburn as an indentured captive. Once he attained his freedom, he fled to the opposite side of a large swamp, in what is now Wilmington. Harnden settled in Reading, in an area that is now part of Wilmington. Jaquith settled in an area of Billerica that became part of Wilmington in 1740.
The Middlesex Canal passed through Wilmington. Chartered in 1792, opened in 1803, it provided freight and passenger transport between the Merrimack River and Boston. One important cargo on the canal was hops. From the middle of the 18th century until the early 19th century, Massachusetts was the acknowledged leader in hop production in North America. Middlesex County in particular was famous for its hop yards, and Wilmington was the first place where the culture grew to a fever pitch.
The Boston and Lowell Railroad was built in 1835. The line is now the oldest operating rail line in the U.S. Wilmington is also served by the Haverhill Division (the old B&M Portland Division). A spur track known as the Wildcat connects the Haverhill and Lowell divisions, following the path of the old Wilmington & Andover Railroad, the corporate ancestor of the Boston & Maine.